The 11 most awesome munchkin-friendly activities this month.
Events selected by Bunchland
1. Take a skate by the lake at the Natrel Rink. Loosen your laces in the heated indoor change room and indulge in a few post-skating treats.
Sun.–Thur., 10 a.m.–10 p.m., Fri–Sat., 10 a.m.–11 p.m. 235 Queens Quay W., 416-973-4866. Free.
2. Kick off 2013 with New Year’s Day Walk at the Leslie Street Spit with the Toronto Bruce Trail Club.
Jan. 1. Leslie Street Spit, Leslie Street and Unwin Avenue, 416-432-1239. Free.
3. The Ontario Science Centre’s holiday programming promises to wow your little ones with the magical wonders of science.
Dec. 22–Jan. 6. Ontario Science Centre, 770 Don Mills Rd., 416-696-1000. Free with admission.
4. There’s still time to catch Solar Stage’s magic musical adaptation of The Princess and the Pea, an interactive presentation of Andersen’s classic story.
Jan. 2–6. Solar Stage Children’s Theatre, 100 Upper Madison Ave., 416-368-8031. $13–16.
5. Kids count at Rouge Park’s Junior Winter Bird Count for budding birdwatchers, ages 9 and under, at Canada’s first urban national park. Don’t forget your binoculars!
Jan. 13. Rouge Park, 195 Rouge Hills Dr., 905-713-6038.
6. Winterize your family every Saturday at the Evergreen Brick Works, where kids can help gather wood, learn about safe fire-building, and take part in projects and games on an elemental theme.
Jan. 5, 12, 19, and 26. Evergreen Brick Works, Chimney Court, 550 Bayview Ave., 416-596-7670. $5 suggested donation.
7. The Lower Ossington Theatre’s presentation of Freckleface Strawberry, adapted from the beloved bestseller by actress Julianne Moore, will help your kids learn to love their freckles.
Jan. 6, 13, 20, and 27. Lower Ossington Theatre, 100A Ossington Ave., 416-915-6747. $29–$39.
8. Puppet Allsorts presents three short shadow-puppet works on the theme of “dreams,” performed by local puppetry company Artichoke Heart Collective.
Jan. 20. Zuke Studio, 1581 Dupont St., 416-531-1290. $15.
9. Do dinosaurs make good snuggle buddies? Find out at the ROM’s very popular sleepover series. January’s theme is “Ancient Civilizations.”
Jan. 25–26. Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen’s Park, 416-586-8000. $67.50–75.
10. Wee monster-truck buffs can get their four-wheel fix as the Maple Leaf Monster Jam Tour rolls their car-crushing show into town.
Jan. 19–20. Rogers Centre, 1 Blue Jays Way, 855-985-5000. $15–52.
11. Join community artists Pamela Schuller, Marie Gaudet, and their team of youth artists to create canvas art to contribute to the group’s Tipi Tapestry Project.
Jan. 19 & 26. Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Ave., 416-596-7670. Free.