The 11 most awesome munchkin-friendly activities this month.
Events selected by bunchfamily.ca
1. Casa Loma is set for a classical takeover, with sights, sounds, and performances inspired by Mozart’s “The Magic Flute.” Castlegoers can even help build a dragon.
Dec. 1–30. Casa Loma, 1 Austin Ter., 416-923-1171. $25.
2. The 22nd annual Etobicoke Lakeshore Christmas parade and its many floats hit the west end to kick off the festive (and freezing) season.
Dec. 1. Dwight Ave. and Lake Shore Blvd. W., 416-562-2585. Free.
3. Ho, ho, ho goes Gangnam-style at the Asian Children’s Christmas Party. Kids can learn to dance like PSY at this day-long celebration hosted by The Korea Times.
Dec. 1. Dosaan Hall and Gallery, 287 Bridgeland Ave., 416-278-5079. PWYC or $10.
4. All aboard! During trips on this holiday heritage train, Saint Nick will visit tots at their seats to hand out treats, as you watch the pretty Stouffville scenery roll by.
December 1–2, 8–9. York-Durham Heritage Railway, 6176 Main St., Stouffville, 905-852-3696. $19.
5. Songs, stories, and holiday fun are part of the Toronto Public Library’s all-age Happy Hanukkah Party.
Dec. 7. Toronto Public Library, Wychwood branch, 1431 Bathurst St., 416-393-7683. Free.
6. Dr. Seuss meets Dr. Dre at this workshop for kid poets and rappers led by poet Claire Caldwell and veteran rap artist Mindbender.
Dec. 9. The Academy of the Impossible, 231 Wallace Ave. $10.
7. Sample Kensington Market’s tastiest confections with a tour of the neighbourhood’s finest sweet shops.
Dec. 9. 321 Spadina Ave., 416-871-7133. Kids $10, adults $30.
8. Reassure your kids that bedtime will not come any earlier, even though it’s the shortest day of the year, with a family skate at the Evergreen Brick Works’ Winter Solstice Festival.
Dec. 15. Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Ave., 416-596-7670. Free.
9. Help your young’uns design a decorative edible tree for their feathered friends at this High Park Nature Centre event.
Dec. 15–16. Howard Park Tennis Club, 430 Parkside Dr., 416-392-1748. $7.50.
10. Kids go crazy for the Toronto Zoo’s Annual Christmas Treats Trek, when critters receive their own seasonal treats.
Dec. 26. Toronto Zoo, 2000 Meadowvale Rd., 416-392-5929. Half-price admission.
11. Parents—and their wee hipsters—can hit up the Gladstone’s Acoustic Family Brunch to enjoy food and bluegrass without having to worry about getting the stink-eye when their kids run around like maniacs.
Dec. 2. Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen St. W., 416-531-4635. Free.