The 11 most awesome, relatively painless, munchkin-friendly activities this month.
Events selected by bunchfamily.ca
1. Strap on your explorer hat for a paddle around the Harbourfront bay in a replica voyageur canoe. Epic.
Aug. 3. 283A Queens Quay W., 416-993-4224. $30.
2. Keep the spirit of Caribana going into August and head way, way north for the Chutney in De Park Family Picnic for calypso, softball, and soul food.
Aug. 5. Bella Gardens, 12700 Jane St., 416-854-0493. $15.
3. Does the thought of 23 robotic, fire-breathing dragons flying around over your head sound like a thrill? We thought so. Check out How to Train Your Dragon, the blazing stage version of the much- loved film.
Aug. 8–12. Air Canada Centre, 416-815-5500. $35–$135.
4. Food! Music! Dance! Stories! Jerkfest!
Aug. 11 and 12. 256 Centennial Park Rd. Free.
5. Jet to the Science Centre for One World, One Sky, a summer star party hosted by the planetary pros as part of the Planet IndigenUS Festival. Expect some stellar night-sky viewing and far-out space games.
Aug. 12. Ontario Science Centre, 770 Don Mills Rd. Free.
6. Scare the summer boredom out of your kids. The haunted Kensington, Chinatown, and Grange ghost walk offers a freaky-fun, lore-filled experience.
Thursdays in August. Meet at 350 Spadina Ave., 416-923-6813. Adults $25, kids $15.
7. Be an urban forager for a day at the High Park Nature Centre, where leaves, seeds, roots, and shoots are ripe and ready for the munching.
Aug. 21. High Park Nature Centre, 440 Parkside Drive, 416-392-1748 (ext. 2). $2 or PWYC.
8. Buskerfest brings together Toronto’s favourite street entertainers (Chalkmaster Dave, Silver Elvis) and buskers from across the world for a weekend of tricks and treats for the eyes.
Aug. 23–26. St. Lawrence Market, 92 Front St. E. Free.
9. Cruise around Trinity Bellwoods for a laissez-faire afternoon of arts and crafts, performances, and food-truck eats for College Montrose Children’s Place’s Family Fun Festival.
Aug. 25. Trinity Bellwoods Park, 416-532-9485. Free.
10. For a kid-friendly dose of outdoor theatre, check out Adventures in Slumberland, a dream-like puppet, mask, and music-filled experience based on a weekly comic strip from the early 1900s.
Wednesday to Sunday until Aug. 26. Lagoon Theatre, Centre Island Port. Adults $10, kids $5.
11. Get prepared for the Year of the Snake by crafting some seriously wicked snake lanterns at the Telus TaiwanFest.
Aug. 24–26. Harbourfront Centre, 235 Queens Quay W., 416-973-4600. Free.