Most cooking shows take 30 minutes to demonstrate how to bake a pie. Watch the video above and learn it all in less than three minutes.
Guided by chef Donna Dooher of Mildred’s Temple Kitchen, kids gathered in the kitchens of the Evergreen Brick Works to get a hands-on lesson in blueberry pie-making at the Wild Blueberry Festival last Saturday (and no, there was no Stand By Me-style eating contest).
The best two pies from the groups were then entered in a bake-off that afternoon, and each kid left with a personal-sized pie they baked all by themselves.
Once you see the video above, you’ll definitely want to bake a wild blueberry pie of your own. Here’s the complete recipe.
Dough: 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 lb unsalted butter, 1/2 lb shortening, 1/2 – 1 cup cold water
Filling: 4 cups wild blueberries (fresh or frozen), 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp cornstarch, zest of 1 lemon, 1/4 lb unsalted butter, cold, cubed into 8 pieces
For the dough:
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Crumble in cold butter and shortening to resemble mealy texture.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into dry ingredients.
- Mix together to form a doughy ball.
- If the mixture feels too dry, add the remaining water.
- Gently knead on floured surface for 1 minute.
- Divide dough in half and shape into two 8” discs.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Let dough sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, then roll into two 14” circles.
- Line a 10” pie plate with one circle of dough, trim edges and return to fridge.
- Mix the wild blueberries, salt, sugar, lemon zest and cornstarch together in a large bowl.
- Place berry mixture in the pie plate and dot with butter.
- Brush around the edge with water or an egg wash.
- Place top on the pie and seal by crimping the edges together to prevent the juice from spilling over during the baking.
- Cut six tiny “X”s into the top of the dough to allow steam to escape during the baking.
- Brush top with egg wash and decorate with cut-outs of dough scraps.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F, then turn temperature down to 350°F and continue baking for another 30 minutes.
- Let wild blueberry pie cool completely and enjoy.