…and other amusements.
1. The first day of the month serves up a fine double bill with Mother Mother and Hannah Georgas at Kool Haus.
2. Today’s your last chance to check out the always interesting One of a Kind Show.
3. British singer Alex Clare brings his Lateness of The Hour LP and Internet Explorer 9 commercial jingle “Too Close” to the Opera House.
4. As part of the Horseshoe’s 65th-birthday celebrations, The Sheepdogs are playing the club with Yukon Blonde. Tickets go on sale this Friday at 10 a.m.
5. Band of Horses support their latest album, Mirage Rock, along with former Grandaddy man Jason Lytle at Massey Hall.
6. Patrick Watson hits Massey Hall with the Barr Brothers in tow.
7. Do Make Say Think play a rare local date at the Opera House.
8. Conor Oberst performs songs from Bright Eyes and all his other projects at Massey Hall. Cold Specks opens.
9. You don’t have to be a Sons of Anarchy fan to check out the last day of the Toronto Motorcycle Show at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
10. The U.K.’s all a-buzz about Passenger, who play the Phoenix.
11. Japandroids celebrate their fantastic second album, Celebration Rock, at the Phoenix.
12. Hawksley Workman recreates his holiday recording Full Moon Eleven at Trinity St.Paul’s Centre
13. Joel Plaskett’s four-night stand as part of the Horseshoe’s 65th-birthday party continues into night two.
14. Barenaked Ladies play play Roy Thomson Hall with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra for a hits-’n'-holiday-songs revue.
15. Get to The Killers’ show at the ACC early for Tegan and Sara, whose new album Heartthrob is coming Jan. 29.
16. Relax and watch potential Super Bowl preview San Francisco at New England.
17. Join William New and friends for the first Elvis Monday Holiday Fest.
18. My Nu Music Night Holiday Bash at the Horseshoe features The Order of Good Cheer, Still Life Still, and The Reason.
19. The Lowest of the Low open up a two-night home-stand at the Horseshoe.
20. If you missed Hollerado Dec. 15 at the Sound Academy with Tokyo Police Club, catch them tonight at The Mansion Nightclub in Barrie. New album White Paint arrives in February.
21. White Cowbell Oklahoma ring in the holidays at Lee’s Palace.
22. Reflect—and blast some Clash—on the 10th-anniversary of the passing of Joe Strummer.
23. “One More Colour,” one more time—Jane Siberry plays Hugh’s Room.
24. Chinese food.
25. The best present is the presence of a new Tarantino film.
26. Pucker up! Canada plays Germany to kick off the World Juniors in Russia.
27. Jason Collett wraps up a month of 2012 Basement Revue Series at the Dakota. His new LP, Reckon, is out now.
28. The Horseshoe’s 65th-birthday celebration continues with the return of ’90s alt-rockers Rusty.
29. Say that it’s September and make a night of it with Earth Wind & Fire at Seneca Niagara Casino
30. Alexisonfire wraps up its month-long, five-continent farewell tour with its final show ever at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton. Moneen open.
31. Toast birthday boy Paul Westerberg with the best New Year’s eve song ever. Oh, and if you’re going out, how about Young Empires at Lee’s Palace?