It’s time for the Friday Refresh: a round-up of this week’s top stories at TheGridTO.com, plus a few you may have missed.
1. Just like the seasons, food crazes are cyclical. And we think we’ve found the next big dessert trend: the gourmet donut!
2. This weekend is Father’s Day, which calls for quality time for the kids and dear old dad. Why not try one of the many awesome activities outlined in this week’s cover story, The Grid Guide to Father’s Day in Toronto?
3. And to honour the occasion, our parenting columnist Joshua Ostroff describes the deeply emotional elements of parenthood in this personal essay.
4. Toronto drivers depend on the Allen Road, but it’s in need of a little work. Here are six suggestions that have been put forth to make it better.
5. We handed out our first ever 1-rating to a movie this week. Adam Sandler, we thought we knew you.
6. What happens when you spend an evening with Toronto’s first all-male burlesque troupe? We found out courtesy of The Night Shift.
7. It’s still hard to believe that you couldn’t get a drink in The Junction for nearly 100 years. And all because of this guy.
8. If you’re buying a condo, do yourself a favour: learn how to read a floor plan.
9. The MMVAs are preparing to spill out all over Queen West on Sunday. We talked to their stage designer about his epic parking lot masterpiece.
10. And of course, it’s NXNE weekend. The Flaming Lips arrive on Saturday night for a show at Dundas Square, and you can have a look at the best bands we’ve seen so far right here.