It’s time for the Friday Refresh: a round-up of this week’s top stories at TheGridTO.com, plus a few you may have missed.
1. Okay, first things first. Could there be any bigger news in Toronto this week than the Shuffle Demons making their return to the Spadina bus? Didn’t think so.
2. Then again, we did crown Toronto’s poutine champion, and that too is pretty impressive.
3. It was also a wonderfully proud week. Our parenting columnist Joshua Ostroff writes that we have moved one step closer to a homophobia-free world.
4. It was a relatively quiet week for Rob Ford, but maybe that’s because he is unofficially out of juice as Toronto’s mayor, writes Edward Keenan.
5. In the latest instalment of her exhaustive look back at Toronto’s nightlife history, Denise Benson travels back to the early days of the space that’s now known as The Guvernment.
6. If you care about city politics and haven’t checked out The Keenan Wire blog, you’re seriously missing out.
7. Did you know that Captain John’s once sank after being rammed by a ferry? Learn your history, kids.
8. When you kick back this weekend to watch something on Netflix, don’t forget: Netflix can read your mind.
9. If you want to get some fresh air and play in the park, you’ll want to stock up on awesome park stuff right here.
10. And if you like driving downtown, do it while you still can, because traffic is going to be a major nightmare for the next two weeks, once this happens. Have a great weekend!