It’s time for the Friday Refresh: a round-up of this week’s top stories at TheGridTO.com, plus a few you may have missed.
1. Summer’s heating up and the kids are getting restless. So why not check out our Scout’s Guide to Summer, with 24 awesome (and mostly cheap) kid-friendly things to do in the city?
2. Over the weekend, guerrilla art group cARTographyTO re-purposed dozens of the city’s unsightly info pillars. Check out our story to see some of their handiwork and hear about how they did it, and while you’re at it, here’s Edward Keenan’s take on that whole “art v. vandalism” thing.
3. Ever dreamed about opening your own bar? This article, about the soon-to-be-opened Handlebar in Kensington Market, will either strengthen your conviction, or steer you away from the idea completely.
4. Are you constantly making impulse buys, putting everything on credit, and not paying off your bill in full? Then you should read this.
5. OneCity, Karen Stinz and Glenn De Baeremaeker’s ambitious transit plan, officially died in council this week. Here’s Edward Keenan’s post-mortem.
6. Feeling cheery on this Friday afternoon? Looking to get out into the city and sow your wild oats? Word of advice: avoid Queen and Spadina.
7. There are still a few days left to check out one of the dozens of Fringe shows going on throughout the city. But how do you choose which one(s) to see? Here are our top 10 picks.
8. Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday seems to think downtown Toronto is an unsafe place to raise kids. We think he’s wrong, and here’s why.
9. If you’ve ever wondered what the maniacal prankster Kenny Hotz would eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a perfect day, now you know.
10. And finally, an incredibly sweet Dating Diaries to melt the hearts of all you old curmudgeons out there.