It’s time for the Friday Refresh: a round-up of this week’s top stories at TheGridTO.com, plus a few you may have missed.
1. You’ve got just over a month of summer left to enjoy. Instead of spending the entire time in the sweltering, sticky city, why not get out of town and explore Toronto’s backyard? Our Grid-approved weekend road trips give you three different treks to match any budget.
2. Is this the most interesting fence in Toronto?
3. One of America’s most iconic liquors is disappearing from the LCBO. Get it before it flies the coop.
4. The mayor has been making headlines recently with his unusual ideas about gun crime and Canada’s Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration. He called in to Newstalk 1010 to try to explain himself.
5. Legendary Toronto MP Olivia Chow sat down with our Courtney Shea to talk transit, her mayoral ambitions (or lack thereof), and Jack’s legacy.
6. We know, we know: the construction at Queen and Spadina has made your life very inconvenient. But just how has it affected businesses in the area? We went down to the construction zone to find out firsthand.
7. The city’s politicians are famous for firing up the city-versus-the-suburbs rhetoric. But instead of becoming more divisive, we should be working to bridge this divide. Edward Keenan sounds off on how this is possible.
8. You heard it here first: electronic music avant-gardist Egyptrixx has got a bright future ahead of him.
9. Toronto’s skyline is about to add another iconic element, and it’s famed Canadian artist Michael Snow who’s making it happen.
10. And finally: feel better about your relationship prospects with this disastrous Dating Diary.