Name: Brock Sandwich.
Owners: Domenic Amaral, Matt Gregoris, Peter Ornelas.
Cuisine: Comfort food.
Price: $9–$13 for sandwiches.
Open for: Tues.–Fri., 7 a.m.–7 p.m.; Sat. 9 a.m.–7 p.m.
Assessment: A group of former Susur chefs have opened a sandwich shop in Bloordale. No punch line here—just crazy good sandwiches. Open for about a week now, Brock Sandwich already has a following, and the reason is clear—there’s a whole lotta tasty stuff coming out of this tiny space.
The menu is short but well-rounded—chicken, pork, fish (sometimes tuna, sometimes mahi-mahi), and vegetables all feature as fillings. Crispy buttermilk chicken, incredibly crunchy and juicy in all the right places, is slathered with kicky house-made piri-piri sauce and draped with charred onions. For $9, it’s a steal.
The veggie option is no lightweight: Marinated artichoke hearts are breaded and fried to form the (if you will) meat of the sandwich, then topped with roasted red peppers, arugula, and fior di latte. Underneath the ‘choke, spread on the soft, but crusty bun, olive tapenade packs a salty punch ($10).
Mornings mean caffeinated bevs alongside peameal and egg break-wiches. Co-owner Dominic Amaral (who also worked the kitchen at Zucca Trattoria) says that, while both menus might be limited at the moment, they will expand with time, and maybe even include a soft-shell crab po’ boy. It’s a good bet, though, that whatever these boys put between buns will be bang-on.
- Made-to-order hearty sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Ridiculously crispy bird on a bun.
- Crunchy, salty taters for a side ($3.50).
- A short walk from either Lansdowne or Dufferin stations.
- The small space is short on seats (room for about eight), and these sandwiches aren’t the dainty kind you can eat on the go.
- There’s a bit of a wait, but it’s worth it. And if you’re short on time, you can always call to pre-order!
Bottom Line: Former Susur chefs focusing all of their talent on a handful of sandwiches. Enough said.
1260 Bloor St. W., 647-748-1260, brocksandwich.ca